Mobile technology and Smartphone devices are the two famous terms that we frequently used in this world. We use smartphones for not only calling facilities, but also for Money transactions, clicking pictures, files/images transfer by bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi and so on. There are different reasons to say why mobile application security testing is necessary. Few of them are – To prevent fraud attacks on the mobile application, virus or malware infection to the mobile application, to prevent security breaches, and so on.
So from a business point of view, it is necessary to perform security testing. However most of the time testers find it troublesome since mobile applications are focused on multiple devices and platforms. So tester requires a mobile application security testing tool which ensures that the mobile application is secure. Here we will discuss some mobile app security tools to use in 2020.
Top 10 mobile app security tools to use in 2020-
1. Zed Attack Proxy-
The OWASP ZAP is one of the world’s most popular mobile application security testing tools that is free to use and is effectively maintained by hundreds of volunteers around the world. This tool is simple and also easy to use. Prior it was used just for web applications to discover the vulnerabilities however right now. All the testers use it for mobile application security testing. ZAP supports sending malicious messages, hence it is simpler for the testers to test the security of the mobile applications. This type of testing is possible by sending any request or file through a malicious message and test whether a mobile application is vulnerable to the malicious message or not.
- It is very easy to install.
- ZAP is available in 20 different languages.
- It is an international community-based tool which provides support and includes active development by international volunteers.
- This tool is also a great for manual security testing.
QARK stands for “Quick Android Review Kit” and it was developed by LinkedIn. The name itself proposes that it is useful for the Android platform to recognize security loopholes in the mobile application source code and APK files. QARK is a static code analysis tool. It provides information about android application related security risk and also gives a clear and brief description of issues. QARK generates ADB (Android Debug Bridge) commands which will help to validate the vulnerability that QARK detects.
- It is an open-source tool.
- It gives detailed information about security vulnerabilities.
- QARK will generate a report about potential vulnerability and provide information about what to do so as to fix them.
- It features the issue related with the Android version.
- QARK scans all the components in the mobile application for misconfiguration and security threats.
- It makes a custom application for testing purposes as APK and recognizes the potential issues.
Drozer is a mobile application security testing framework developed by MWR InfoSecurity. It identifies the security vulnerabilities in the mobile applications and devices and ensures that the Android devices, mobile applications and so on., are secure to use. Drozer takes less time to evaluate the android security-related issues by automating the complex and also time consuming activities.
- Drozer is an open-source tool.
- It supports both actual android devices and emulators for security testing.
- It only supports the Android platform.
- This tool provides solutions in all areas of cybersecurity.
- Drozer support can be extended to find and also exploit hidden weaknesses.
- It discovers and also interacts with the threat area in an android app.
4. Codified Security-
Codified Security was launched in 2015 with its headquarters in London, United Kingdom. This is a well known testing tool to perform mobile application security testing. It recognizes and fixes the security vulnerabilities and also ensures that the mobile application is secure to use. It follows a programmatic approach for security testing, which ensures that the mobile application security test results are scalable and reliable.
- It is an automated testing platform that detects security loopholes in the mobile application code.
- Codified Security provides real-time feedback.
- It is supported by machine learning and static code analysis.
- It supports both Static and Dynamic testing in mobile app security testing.
- Code-level reporting helps to get the issues in the mobile app’s client-side code.
- It tests a mobile app without actually fetching the source code. The data and source code is hosted on the Google cloud.
- Files can be uploaded in multiple formats such as APK, IPA, etc.
5. Android Debug Bridge-
Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is a command line tool. It communicates with the actual connected android device or emulator to survey the security of mobile applications. ADB is also used as a client server tool which can be connected to various android devices or emulators. It includes “Client” (which sends commands), “daemon” (which runs commands) and “Server” (which manages communication between the Client and the daemon).
- It can be integrated with Google’s Android Studio IDE.
- ADB communicates with devices using USB, WI-FI, Bluetooth etc.
- Real-time monitoring of system events.
- It allows operating at the system level using shell commands.
- ADB is included in the Android SDK package itself.
6. Micro Focus-
Micro Focus primarily focused on the delivery of enterprise solutions for its customers in the areas of Security and Risk Management, DevOps, Hybrid IT, and so on. This tool gives end to end mobile application security testing over multiple devices, platforms, networks, servers, and so on. Fortify is a tool by Micro Focus which ensures a mobile application before getting installed on a mobile device.
- Fortify performs comprehensive mobile security testing using a flexible delivery model.
- Security Testing includes static code analysis and scheduled scan for mobile apps and provides the accurate result.
- Identify security vulnerabilities across- client, server, and network.
- Fortify allows standard scan which helps to identify malware.
- Fortify supports multiple platforms such as Google Android, Apple iOS, Microsoft Windows and Blackberry.
This tool gives a 360º approach to deal with mobile application security testing, with the largest technology coverage. Kiuwan security testing includes static code analysis and also software composition analysis, with automation at any phase of the SDLC. Inclusion of the main languages and popular frameworks for mobile development, with integration at IDE level.
8. ImmuniWeb® MobileSuite-
ImmuniWeb® MobileSuite offers an interesting combination of mobile application and its backend testing in a consolidated offer. It accompanies flexible, pay-as-you-go packages equipped with a zero false-positives SLA and money-back guarantee for one single false positive!
- Mobile app and backend testing.
- Zero false-positive SLA.
- PCI DSS and GDPR compliances.
- CVE, CWE and CVSSv3 scores.
- Actionable remediation guidelines.
- SDLC and CI/CD tools integration.
- One-click virtual patching via WAF.
- 24/7 Access to security analysts.
ImmuniWeb® MobileSuite offers a free online mobile scanner for developers and SMEs, to recognize security issues, verify application permissions and run DAST/SAST testing for OWASP Mobile Top 10.
Veracode offers services for application security to its all customers. Using automated cloud-based service, Veracode offers web services and mobile application security. Veracode’s Mobile Application Security Testing (MAST) solution identifies the security loopholes in the mobile application and suggests quick action to play out the resolution.
- It is easy to use and provides accurate security testing results.
- Based on the application, security tests are performed. Finance and healthcare applications are tested in-depth while the simple web application is tested with a simple scan.
- In-depth testing is performed using complete coverage of mobile app use cases.
- This tool provides not only fast but also accurate code review result.
- Under a single platform, it provides multiple security analysis which includes static, dynamic and mobile app behavioral analysis.
10. Mobile Security Framework (MobSF)-
Mobile Security Framework (MobSF) is an automated security testing framework for Android, iOS and Windows platforms. It performs not only static but also dynamic analysis for mobile application security testing. The majority of the mobile applications are using web services which may have security loophole. MobSF addresses the security-related issues with web services.
- It is an open-source tool.
- MobSF is hosted in a local environment, so sensitive data never interacts with the cloud.
- Faster security analysis for mobile apps on all three platforms (Android, iOS, Windows).
- MobSF supports both binary and Zipped source code.
- It supports Web API security testing using API Fuzzer.
- Developers can identify security vulnerabilities during the development phase.
Here you have learned about the Mobile App Security Testing Tools available in the market. It is significant for the testers to use security testing tools as indicated by the nature and requirement of each mobile application.
If you are still confused about app updates, consult with Solace experts. We have dedicated mobile app developers to help you. Get a free quote for developing and maintaining mobile apps. We will be happy to help you.