With the advancement in technology, wearable devices are not only restricted to wristwatches. The Internet Of Things has brought up revolutionary modern-day wearable devices like smartphones. Wearable technology connects devices to others through an internet connection. Most of the devices are designed to work with smartphones and devices that run on wearable technology needs a mobile app to manage data. Let us see details of wearable apps.
What Is Wearable Apps?
Wearable Technology is a category of technology devices that are worn by a user either directly as an accessory or as a part of other materials like clothing. These gadgets further connect to the internet directly or through a smartphone to perform a number of functions by exchanging data between the network and device.
There are specific apps that are designed to work with wearable devices. Accuweather, Parking, Spotify, Bring are some popular wearable apps. Apple and google are two top developers of wear apps. These apps are more complicated than standard mobile apps.
How Wearable Apps Are Differ From Smartphone Apps?
Hardware of wearable technology is small and less powerful so there are some limitations for functionalities of a single wearable app on a device.
2. User Interaction-
Generally, wearable apps have little to almost no user interactions. The work automatically collects data and displays output. Very few wearable apps need input from a user. Whereas, mobile apps are mostly developed for user interactions.
3. Device Specificity-
Wearable apps use APIs specific to the device and so the same cannot be used on other devices or platforms. Until now, same wearable apps can’t be used on other devices or even the same device of other makers. However, mobile apps have the flexibility of being able to run on different makes and models of mobile phones and even on tablets.
But the good thing about the development of wearable apps is, it is similar to the development of smartphone apps. Only the expert development company that has experience of developing wearable apps can develop app for particular wearable gadget.
Reasons For Developing Wearable Apps-
Wearable apps offer a different set of features and experience to users. The way they work is also different and they are not as robust as mobile apps. Even their strategy and approach for development is also different from other applications.
Wearables are portable devices that we can carry everywhere and so the app success completely relies on the user experience. It is a customer-based app and you must not develop it like Smartphone app. For instance, “Smart shoe” app which is a customer-based app in which shoes are connected with app that helps to direct and notify the customer with vibration.
When the customer walks into the unknown areas without being stuck to the smartphone, the smart shopping wearable app help them in the right way through mild vibration. Also this app can help to discover the daily walking distance, running distance in an app. It also displays the burned calaries of each day, and describe about your fitness.
Wearable apps are more flexible, trending and convenient to use. Wearable apps provide fitness tracking, security profiling and network monitoring.
2. Size Is The Key Factor-
For wearable apps, size is an important factor. In case of wearable apps you cannot develop app with certain templates, a creative and unique feature is needed for the development of wearable app. This is because the loading of huge apps in the smaller device is complicated and may perform poorly. The app developer might have a worry in the wearable apps development as the Smartwatches are portable in size however need many unique and innovative features for the Play store installation.
3. Improve User Experience-
Providing best user experience to the end user is one of the most important aspect to consider in wearable app development. It is important for both mobile apps and wearable apps but the program is different. One of the main advantages of wearable apps over mobile apps is that there is no need to carry mobile while using wearable apps. Wearable apps still need more improvement as there are challenges while working on wearable apps and its functions.
Challenges In Wearable Apps Development-
- User Interface- Only looks for wearable apps is not important, it should work smoothly on the mobile and device too. Generally wearable devices have smaller screens than tablets, mobile etc so it is a challenging task to design app that is attractive too.
- Battery Issues- If an app is consuming more battery, it won’t stand in the modern market. Finding the perfect balance between great functionality and battery saving features is a challenge to developers.
- Security and privacy- Each wearable technology needs data transfer from one device to another. Whereas there is a security issue of data being stolen. This is a big issue people that prevents them from using wearable gadgets.
- Tethered devices- A wearable application deals with two devices at the same time. And it is the reason why an application might fail. It is very challenging to design an application that isn’t affected by devices much. On account of gadgets that run on Bluetooth, it is important to keep a decent range.
- Functionality- A great app needs not only good user interface but also a customizations based on the user requirements. Developers should focus on ease of use and customer requirements.
- Multi-platform support- The best wearable applications are those that are viable with different platforms, particularly Android and iOS. So the app must be custom-made to run efficiently on all devices. This needs a complete focus on API and various protocols.
- Regular Updates- According to the changing market circumstances, there is always a need to update the app. To stay relevant and on the top of market wearable app development needs to update with new features and fix bugs.
Benefits Of Wearable Apps-
- Health & Fitness- Fitness wearable apps keep track of our fitness activities. Fitness bands connects with dedicated fitness apps that stores body data like heart rate, pulse rate, burnt calaries, pulse rate etc.
- Fashion- Many popular fashion brands are developing wearable gadgets and clothing accessories. In the upcoming days, unique fabric clothes will be launched that will improve the blood flow as required.
- Games- Gaming industry uses AI, VR, IoT and wearable technology to develop gaming gadgets. Various apps are developed to work with gadgets like eye-wears to produce real-life graphics. Gameband+Minecrcaft is a wrist band for gamers.
- Entertainment- Entertainment app has made the application compatible with wearable devices. Various apps allows you to play different media like videos, music and pictures on your watch or other devices like Spotify.
Testing Of Wearable App-
Testing of wearable app is different from mobile apps and software applications. Here are some of the testing parameters for wearable apps-
- Installation testing
- Functionality testing
- Performance testing
- Usability testing
- Connectivity testing
- Security testing
- Localization testing
- Memory Leak testing
- IOP testing
As the technology upgrades, you must need to upgrade your software solution too. Wearable apps development is new for most of you. The above basics will surely help you to understand the wearable apps. If you have an idea for a wearable app and looking to implement it, consult with Solace experts. We have a dedicated team of experts to help you through consultation and development. You can hire android developers of Solace team for an effective and feature rich wearable app development. We will be happy to help you.