We already know that cloud computing has taken the whole world. Those struggling days are gone when businesses and enterprises deal with the complicated on-premise server rooms and complicated networking. In the past decade cloud computing has become the ideal choice of businesses and enterprises because of its features like secure, cost-efficient and reliable. The major providers of the industry are now investing in their hardware, software and global networking infrastructure to obtain higher market share and it results in unparalleled performance. Healthy competition is always better for users and partners because it reduces the cost and requires them to continuously develop to stay ahead. And same is applicable for AWS Vs GCP too.
When we think about cloud computing providers, three leaders come to mind- Azure, Google Cloud, and AWS. Here we are going to compare google cloud vs aws. There are some advantages and disadvantages of both the providers. Also here we will discuss the issues and challenges that you may face while choosing AWS or GCP.
What Is AWS? And What Is GCP?
Amazon Web Services(AWS)-
AWS is a daughter company of Amazon. It is one of the oldest and widely used cloud platforms. This platform offers easy to use, flexible, reliable, scalable and cost-effective cloud computing solutions. AWS cloud computing platform offers a collection of cloud services that build up a fully-fledged platform. It is also known as a powerhouse of databases, analytics, networking, storage. It’s billing feature is so simple and cost effective- You have to only for you’ve used.
Features of AWS-
- Total Cost of Ownership is very low compared to any private/dedicated servers.
- Offers Centralized Billing and management
- Offers Hybrid Capabilities
- Allows you to deploy your application in multiple regions around the world with just a few clicks
Google Cloud Platform-
In 2011, google launched Google cloud Platform(GCP). This cloud computing platform helps businesses to grow and thrive by providing work management tools, cloud services like data storage and analytics with security and flexibility. Recently, Google reported a general availability of Anthos. Anthos is an enterprise hybrid and multi-cloud platform. This platform is designed to allow users to run applications on-premise not just Google Cloud but also with other providers such as Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure. You can also know the details of Google’s multi-cloud platform at- Everything you should know about Anthos- Google’s multi-cloud platform.
Features of Google Cloud-
- Constantly including more Language & OS.
- A better UI helps you to improves user experience.
- Offers an on-demand self-service
- Broad network access
- Resource pooling and Rapid elasticity
What are the differences between AWS and GCP?
The main difference between AWS and GCP is the lack of elastic search in the Google suite. But still GCP is more friendly to developers in general open source resources, community(it also has documentation on how to switch from AWS to GCP). Also the User interface is different( The UI of AWS seems a bit rusty). If you have a software company or working in a software company, you need to adapt to all kinds of cloud service providers about how to integrate and migrate data.
Differences From The Business Perspective-
First – the brand. There are a lot of implications, that includes the level of brand awareness and authority around two big brands and also applicable to cloud services too.
Secondly, localization of the company (and of the servers).
Third, obvious- pricing (everything depends on the scope of services you choose and your region).
The main difference between Amazon or Google cloud computing services is the customer experience. There is a big difference with the way they approach you as a potential or existing client. There is a lower entry barrier with GCP as you get educated about the brand from marketing content, ending on precise open-source documentation presented by the community. Also there opening discounts and loans are available. There are many professionals of AWS, who know the platform completely. Hence you can save on training.
Google’s strategy is to sway the IT team and build organic decision making processes whereas Amazon keeps the classic way, acquiring clients through traditional channels from experts who make purchase decisions and then convince the teams to work with it.
AWS Vs GCP- Technical Difference
- Google Cloud offers Google Cloud Storage, while AWS offers Amazon Simple Storage Services.
- Google Cloud volume size is 1 GB to 64 TB while AWS volume size is 500 GB to 16 TB.
- In Google cloud services, data transmission is fully encrypted whereas, in AWS, data transmission is in the general format.
- Google Cloud provides backup services, but AWS offers cloud-based disaster recovery services.
Can you say GCP is more suited for startups and AWS for enterprises?
Definitely not. Both Amazon and Google provide services for all types of businesses, small scale and large scale. You can choose any one regardless of size and level of your company.
AWS is known as the oldest cloud services provider and they acquired the largest market in the world. They have large global companies in their client portfolio and hence are more trusted by the enterprises. Most of the large companies uses AWS services and it not simple and cheap to change anything in large-scale corporations who stick to their selection. Whereas, Google offers many facilities, discounts and also a training sessions to startups and hence GCP is selected by most of the new companies. Here are some benefits of selecting AWS web services-
Benefits Of Choosing AWS Web Services–
- AWS web service is better to choose when your project needs high computing power
- It offers automated functionalities like configuration, scaling, setups and so on.
- AWS helps to improve the productivity of app development team
- Offers easy app deployment process
- You should prefer AWS when you have less time to spend on deployment of a new version of your web or mobile app.
- It allows you to pay only for what you use without any long-term commitments.
- You can access cloud quickly with limited capacity
Benefits Of Choosing Google Cloud Services–
- By selecting CGP employees can work from anywhere in the world.
- Offers future proof infrastructure
- Offers powerful data analytics
- GCP offers long term discounts hence is cost effective
- Offers instance and payment configuration
- It provides serverless environment which allows you to connect cloud services with a large focus especially on microservices architecture
- Offers higher productivity through Quick Access to innovation
- Big Data and Machine Learning products
Challenges Or Issues That Businesses Should Consider When Choosing AWS Vs GCP?
- Migration process of switching from another platform
- User management
- authentication processes
- Localization(there are some political issues with cloud services for some countries like China or russia)
- GDPR issues (especially if you are storing customers’ data)
- Cost(for machine learning projects it is better to avoid the cloud and set your own hardware)
How Choose Your Cloud?
Google Cloud and AWS both are popular and good platforms. You should understand the need of your organization and how much you can pay for it, knowing this will surely help you to decide the best platform for organization. Perfect cloud service provider improves the functioning of your organization and helps you to achieve the business goals.
Are you still confused to choose the best cloud service provider, consult with solace experts. We have dedicated developers to help you through development. Connect with solace and get a free quote for software development. We will be happy to help you.