Most of us use the terms web applications- cloud applications interchangeably when they came with an idea to develop an application. Whether you have a little bit of knowledge about web apps or cloud apps doesn’t mean that you can transform your idea into reality by yourself. You must need a good web development company to transform the idea into reality.
In technical terms, cloud-based technology is good for doing online business. Before you choose a web development company to build a business app, let us differentiate web apps and cloud apps.
This type of application refers to the software application which is deployed in a cloud environment instead of being hosted on a local server or machine. Cloud environment means- how an IT organization has configured its IT infrastructure to support cloud apps. The major features of cloud apps include-
- The cloud-based application is user friendly so as to support customers’ requirements like security, backup schedule, and data compression.
- Data for this application is stored on a cloud
- Data can be cached locally and accessed offline
- Cloud apps can be used from either web browser, custom-built apps for internet-connected devices like mobile phones.
- Can be used to access- On-Demand computing cycle, Application development platforms, and also a Storage.
Types Of Cloud Apps-
1. Software as a Service (SaaS)-
These types of apps are mainly designed to target SMBs and freelancer service providers. SaaS payment models includes pay for use and subscription according to the quote. Here SaaS comes with CRM, helpdesk, ERP and other accounting applications. Wrike, Hubspot CRM, Sisense and Wix are the common examples of SaaS.
2. Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)-
IaaS is an outsourced cloud-based computing infrastructure service. It provides a virtualized interface that receives pre-configured and built-in software, also comes with managed hosting and development environments including IBM Cloud, Google Cloud And Amazon Workspaces.
3. Platform as a Service (PaaS)-
These types of apps mainly uses businesses to engage in the development, testing, collaborations, and deployment. PaaS configure using sandbox and deployment. It includes run time systems, graphics UI and programming languages. Examples of PaaS apps- Microsoft Azure, Google App Engine, and Rackspace cloud sites.
4. Recovery as a Service (RaaS)-
It offers integrated solutions to switch from existing solutions. Cloud applications work limit personal time impacts which incorporate Windstream Business, nScaled, and Geminare.
Advantages Of Cloud Application-
Cloud service providers have the infrastructure set up to ensure high levels of service up-time and availability for your applications. It includes readily available back-up servers if there should be an occurrence of an unplanned service interruption. When the system breaks, it’s your service provider’s obligation to fix it – not yours.
2. Cost reduction-
Cloud application deployment can be cultivated in a short time with little to no up-front investment in IT infrastructure. Organizations afford the expense of purchasing servers and equipment and save on the administration, power, AC and maintenance costs. Cloud services offer flexible cost models, hence businesses only pay for the storage and capacity.
3. Ease of Management-
You can implement the cloud management platform(CMP) solutions for the better management of cloud applications and services also. CMPs uses APIs to get data from cloud environment and store it into an integrated system where IT organization monitor performance, security and compliance.
Web apps are designed to be used on web browsers. It has a simple and straightforward architecture. It is a combination of server-side scripting (PHP, .Net) and client-side scripting (HTML and Adobe Flash) where the client relies on the webserver components to talk to the infrastructure that provides the core functional services. Web applications provide you the convenience of accessing it from any location and is all because of its great computing model.
Web apps allow users to interact with the company by online forms, content management systems, shopping carts, and so on. Also, apps allow employees to create documents, share information, collaborate for projects, and work on common documents. Know the considerations to choose the technology for web app at- Effective Considerations to choose the technology for Web Application.
How Does A Web Application Work?
- User requests to the webserver over the Internet, either through a web browser or the application’s UI.
- Web server proceeds this request to the proper web application server.
- The web app server performs the requested task and then generates the results of the task.
- Web app server sends these results to the webserver with requested information or processed data.
- The web server responds to the client with the requested data which then appears on the user’s display
You can boost the performance of web app by following the tips at- How you can Boost Your Web Application Performance?
Types Of Web Apps-
- Dynamic Web Apps- These are complex web apps which run on web browsers and show different content each time. Generally PHP and ASP languages are used which allow to modify content, images and videos.
- Static Web Apps- These type of apps are created using CSS and HTML and can hold animated objects like videos, banners, GIFs etc. Generally these apps are used in professional portfolios and digital curriculums.
- Portal Web Apps- These kind of apps use and access categories of a home page. You can use a dynamic web page that includes browsers, chats, forums etc.
- eCommerce or Online Store- Web browser uses electronic payment modalities like PayPal, credit cards, and so on. eCommerce app is upgraded for both desktop and mobile browsing to accomplish better outcomes.
Advantages Of Web App-
- These apps are not installed on the hard drive, hence no issues regarding space limitations.
- Web apps can run on multiple platforms regardless of OS or device as long as the browser is compatible.
- It reduce costs for business and end user because of less support and maintenance.
- Reduces software piracy in subscription-based web applications (i.e. SaaS)
Cloud App Vs Web App-
Web apps use Python, PHP, Ruby, and .NET. and remote databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, and so on. Also JS and its early frameworks like JSON, JQuery, and AJAX are used to enhance the user experience on the front-end.
Cloud apps are great for the applications that require high computations, or need to operate reliably in places where internet connectivity is poor. Cloud apps are preferred for collaboration-heavy processes.
Web apps only work in browsers when there is an internet connection. Hence they are good for transactional applications like bulletin boards, e-commerce sites, data sharing portals and booking services.
Developing reliable web-based apps is more costly than developing a traditional browser-only web application. There are less availability of skilled web app developers. Whereas cloud-based apps has bigger community and are continuously increasing. Hence cloud apps can be significantly more expensive than web-based apps.
Selecting the wrong choice will need to pay more cost and will unfit your application for the specific purpose. Hence you must choose the proper kind of app as per your requirements and purpose. If you are confused to choose the best one for your business, consult with solace experts. We are here to help you with a team of experts. Connect with Solace and get a free quote for web application or cloud-based app development. We will be happy to help you.