With last 2 decades, many technologies and platforms grow a head in the market. Also the development trends are reaching to the sky with its functionalities. What is the most important thing to consider when developing web applications? Choosing the best technology from the bucket of vast technologies is a crucial task. The choice of a technology is challenging for small businesses and startups, because they have a limited budget. And so the necessity of technology that provides the most bang for the bug to get their projects off the ground.
The right choice of technology is a key to project’s success, whereas the wrong choice of technology can be the reason of failure. So, here we are going to help you to decide the appropriate technology for your web application.
What is a technology for web app development?
Before proceeding to the criteria for choosing the web technology, just clear what contains the process of web development? There are two main sides of web development: Client-side and Server side. Client-side can be known as front-end. Server side includes functional programming, database and the server itself.
Programming at client-side involves appearance of a web app that users see on their screens. This is also called as Front-end. Below are some of the major front-end technologies-
- Cascading Style Sheets(CSS) and Hypertext Markup Language(HTML). HTML focuses on how to display the contents of a web page, while CSS styles that content. Bootstrap is another technology that helps framework for managing HTML and CSS.
Server side is not visible to users but it helps client-side to function as required. The main challenging task is to choose the server-side technology. Server-side programming are used to create the logic of websites and applications. Frameworks for programming languages offer lots of tools for simpler and faster coding. Here are some popular programming languages with their frameworks-
- PHP (Laravel)
- Java (Spring)
- Ruby (Ruby on Rails)
- Scala (Play)
- Python (Django, Flask, Pylons)
You can hire dedicated PHP developers from Solace team for an effective server-side programming.
How not to choose web technology?
1. Don’t Choose according to Personal Preferences-
It is good to rely on your personal choices when choosing a technology for a web application. But there is a problem- This methodology functions admirably just for individuals with a strong foundation in web advancement.
If you have a lot of experience in web development or you are a chief technology officer, your choice may be correct. But if you don’t have enough knowledge of the web development process, this paradigm may lead to down. Because you have chosen the wrong technology.
2. Don’t choose according to the previous projects-
Regardless of how effective your past projects are, you satisfied them before. The same technology you used before may be out-dated now. In addition, your projects are not the same , hence the technology on project may not be appropriate for another.
3. Don’t choose according to the competitors’ Experiences-
Gaining from the experience of your rivals might be the correct technique, but not for choosing the technology. Keep in mind that your project is unique and the goal is to beat your opponent companies. If you failed to choose the right technology, you’re likely to face the challenges in the future which is more costly.
Criteria for choosing the technology-
1. If your requirements are focusing towards product transaction or anything which is market oriented then it is pointing to E- Commerce project.
2. The requirements are focusing on content, then it is reflecting the importance of content delivery.
3. If you have a lot of search system requirement be it in any domain, at that point the web search tool related application should spring up.
4. Types of Web applications–
Important thing to choose is the type of web application you’re going to develop. A technology is a toolset to create a web app. So the decision should be appropriate. According to complexity, web projects can be divided into three types:
- Simple- These web applications are created with the help of out-of-the-box solutions. For eg., Landing pages, simple online stores.
- Mid-level- These type of apps have more functionalities as compared to the simple apps. These web applications are build with the help of frameworks. Eg., apps for large e-commerce stores.
- Complex- Such type of web apps have lots of functions and integrations. They are developed with different web technologies and may have some programming languages. For eg., Social networks
5. Time to Market-
It is an important factor for choosing the technology for startups and for small businesses. The faster you develop and deploy applications, the more ahead of contenders you’ll be. Time to market depends on technology you select.
Issues you should consider when choosing a technology-
1. Out-of-the-box solutions-
Look out whether a technology has some out-of-box solutions for adding necessary functions to web apps.
2. Integration with third-party solutions-
Ensure that the technology you choose supports integration with third party solutions. Because it helps you to add functionalities as per your need.
3. Developer availability-
Regardless of whether you’ve chosen the technology, there’s as yet an issue- You need developers. You should check whether you’ll be able to find developers with expertise in the technology you decided. And also you need developers to maintain it after launch.
4. Documentation and developer community-
Development of an application is difficult. There is possibility of occurrence of some issues after deployment. So to find out a solution and fix the issue, the technology should have a large developer communities.
5. Development Cost-
Development cost of a web app depend on the salaries of developers and also on the maintenance cost. Highly skilled web developers demands to be paid with higher salaries. Accordingly your expenses are increases. Maintaining an app is another side of web development. To reduce the maintenance cost , you should opt for free open-source technologies. For eg., Ruby and Rails framework is available with the MIT licence, which means it can be modified, upgraded, and used without any restrictions.
You want your web application to be secure. Hence, you should choose technologies that allow you to create a really secure app. There are lots of different opinions as to which programming language is the safest, but in truth, no language guarantees 100% safety.
As you have seen, selecting the right tech is a real challenge. Choose the technologies according to your project. You shouldn’t rely on time-proven technologies only, even if they have been used by some large and successful companies or prominent projects have been accomplished with their help.
Need to develop the best web app for your business? Solace is a software company that specializes in custom web application development as our core strength and foundation. You can hire dedicated app developers for an effective web app development that helps you to achieve the success that you deserves. Connect with Solace and get a free quote for efficient web app development. We will be happy to help you.