In the past couple of years, mobile application development has transformed into a blasting industry. Nearly 3.5 billion people in the world are using smartphones and applications to carry out everyday tasks. Today, for online business mobile app development is necessary. If you want to increase your sales with technology then app development is genuinely suggested for everyone.
A decade ago, you could build a native application. The main drawback of this was- you had to spend twice the development cost to make applications for iOS and Android platforms. But now, with the availability of broad cross-platform development options, developing two applications using a single codebase become more popular. There are some competing mobile app cross-platform tools available. Other than PWA and Hybrid, Google’s Flutter and Facebook’s React Native are among the most notable ones. The two main advantages of cross-platform application development is a rapid development process and reduced cost. As there are a lot of frameworks available to build cross platform apps, most of the entrepreneurs get confused about choosing the best between Flutter and PWA. Before making the comparison, let us understand the basics of both frameworks.
What Is Flutter?
Features Of Flutter-
- It includes modern react-style framework, instant gadgets, and development tools.
- It has huge support for developing customized interfaces with unique themes and priorities as per your needs.
- Flutter has a new feature called “Hot Reload”. With this tool, you can access a wide range of widgets along with working on a dynamic interface with ease.
- It has a high effective portable GPU delivering UI power that allows it to work on the most recent interfaces.
Pros of Flutter-
- Easily learnable
- It gives access to native features.
- It is hot reload which means that the developers can see all the changes they’ve made to the code.
- Perfect for an MVP.
- It improves overall performance as well as app startup time.
Cons of Flutter-
- Few issues in integrating with native external libraries.
- It isn’t supported by web browsers as it only mobile applications.
- Lack of third-party libraries. Using Flutter, the developer has to build these libraries themselves which is very time-consuming.
What Is PWA?
Three Key Points of PWAs–
- Reliability- Instantly loads and doesn’t require an Internet connection.
- Speed- Smooth and responsive user experience that doesn’t lag.
- Engagement- Features like native apps
Features Of PWA-
- PWA provide complete responsiveness and browser compatibility because these apps are built according to progressive enhancement principles and work with all browsers that are compatible with any device.
- Connectivity independence- it can work both offline and on-low quality networks.
- It includes an app-like interface.
- PWAs always update themselves automatically means you get an updated app
- These apps are served via HTTPS so that unauthorized user will not be able to access the content & prevent snooping
Pros Of PWA-
- Cheaper to build and maintain.
- Easy to find & share.
- It makes any web app experience faster and reliable because of progressive enhancement.
- Reduced installation friction.
- PWAs can work on multiple platforms which in turn reduces the cost of development.
Cons Of PWA-
- PWAs can’t support native app typical features like fingerprint scanning, NFC, inter-app communication, and camera controls.
- Limited hardware & software support.
- No download app store presence.
Flutter Vs PWA-
Flutter is a new language and can seem somewhat more complicated at first time, as everything, from the UI to logic code can appear more or less mingled together in Flutter. Also, since everything is basically a widget in Flutter, you can be in circumstances where you end up with an unusually enormous, deep, and complex ‘widget tree’.
As Flutter is specifically made for cross-platform development of mobile apps, it has more features than that of PWA. Flutter apps have more deep integration with the system and hence can use more native features of the device. User experience of Flutter is better as it adopts a pixel-perfect philosophy with which users from android and ios platforms can experience the same experience.
Flutter applications are more consistent across devices but a typical flutter app size is larger than a typical PWA. A simple “Hello World!” flutter app can be 7MB in size while a PWA with the same content never breaks the 1MB mark.
Flutter Vs PWA- A Comparison
|History||Developed by Google and the initial version was released in May 2017||Released in 2017 and take advantage of new features supported by browser|
|Installation||Can be installed on devices as native apps||Can be installed on home screen as shortcut|
|Development||Single codebase, hot reloading feature and ready made widgets make development faster.||Using different codebase for web & mobile increases the overall development speed.|
|Performance||Uses rendering engine and performs better||Lower performance as it uses web DOM & requires a browser to implement|
|Code Complexity||Knowledge of Flutter and Dart is necessary to develop app||Complexity depends on the type of framework used|
|Message and call integration||Can read and messages but needs manual action to invoke calls||Unable to read and send messages|
When To Choose Flutter?
If your user base is mostly available on iOS, that prefers a fast performing app, you must choose Flutter. It will allow you to launch app with native look & feel and gives you an opportunity to generate revenue by using in-app purchases and other monetization options.
When To Choose PWA?
If you have a low budget and doesn’t have a dedicated user base on iOS devices, then you can choose PWA to improve user experience within budget.
Here you’ve seen some basic differences between Flutter vs PWA. There can be few others too. If you’re still confused to choose the best between Flutter vs PWA, consult with solace experts. We are here to help you through consultation and development. You can also hire flutter developers and PWA developers of solace team to develop an effective app. We will be happy to help you.