Kotlin is acquiring the world for android development. It’s popularity has been massively increased when google announced it as the supporting language for android applications. Kotlin is developed by the company Jetbrains, which is popular for its IDE’s and hence at least one specialized IDE for Kotlin exists. It is fully compatible with Java and hence you can use any platform that works with Java to code Kotlin. Let us see some of the Kotlin IDEs and text editors.
Kotlin IDEs And Text Editors –
Have you just started your kotlin journey? Then you can prefer TryKotlin. This simple text editor is a cloud-based application available in browser and compatible with all kinds of operating systems. This JVM allows you to run the code once you finish typing. It supports modular testing of Junit and a Java to Kotlin code converter. TryKotlin has some example of premade code for basic Kotlin functions.
- Java to Kotlin code converter
- It is a simple text editor, created by jetBrains.
- JVM allows to run the code immediately
- Modular testing of JUnit
- Can save the written code in separate file and share it to social networks
- Examples of ready-made code for basic Kotlin functions;
2. Android Studio-
Android Studio provides developers fast tools for app development on each type of Android device. It provides full support for Kotlin since 2017 with support for components and android templates. There are some similarities between Android Studio and IntelliJ IDEA. And hence it becomes easy for developers to create mobile app with Android Studio. Some of the tools include code refactoring and search tools to seek out and find any performance issues or version incompatibilities. Gradle is there to take care of automatic assembly and .apk generation. Editing made easy with just use of Drag and drop. Developers can view the layout on different mobile screens and hence can control differing sizes and resolutions.
- In 2017, Google announced the support for Kotlin in its product
- This IDE is based on IntelliJ IDEA
- Can view the layouts on screens with different resolutions
- Generation of .apk files using Gradle
- Code refactoring and search tools for performance problems and version incompatibilities
- Editing interface of mobile applications with Drag and drop
3. Sublime Text-
Sublime Text 3 is a sophisticated text editor with features for code, markup and prose. Because of the Kotlin plugin, developers can easily use the interface and experience high-performance Sublime text. Command palette simplifies the look of tools and multiple selections saves the time of changes. You can easily make their own templates and insert into a file and create their own extensions.
- Built-in Java compiler JavaC
- Can create own extensions
- Support for Kotlin Syntax highlighting, error detection, and autocompletion
- Allows to create your own templates, commands and insert it to the file
4. IntelliJ IDEA-
Koltin was developed by JetBrains team means there’s a great compatibility between these two. Kotlin has some IntelliJ-specific tutorials and guides. This IDE offers multiple tools for refactoring, software testing and so on. IntelliJ supports multiple languages like Java, Groovy and Scala. There are multiple options available in the ultimate version. Stripped down community version is a great option for developers. The community version is open source whereas ultimate option has a 30-days free trial.
- Supports Spring, JSF, Hibernate and other popular frameworks
- Compatible with Apache, JUnit, CVS, Subversion
- Multiple refactoring tools are available for fast code recognition
It is the oldest text editor of this list. It has remained popular for so many years instead of emerging new editors. Vim is highly configurable and makes it easy for developers to adapt to any problems that come their path. Vim has support for multiple programming languages and file formats. With Kotlin plugin, developers can use syntax highlighting, automatic indentation, code checking with syntastic and so on.
- It is one of the most customizable text editors. Supports saving of undo operations even the program is closed
- It can work in insertion, console, and visual mode. The opening of multiple files and window management is possible.
- Because of a large database of plugins, simple expansion of editors with other languages.
- Supports automatic indentation, syntax highlighting, and code checking with Syntastic.
These are some popular and best IDEs for Kotlin. You can choose as per your necessity and project requirements. Are you thinking of developing the best app for your business? We have a dedicated Kotlin developers team to help you through development. You can hire Kotlin developers or get a free quote for effective app development. Connect with solace and develop the best app for your business. We will be happy to help you.