With the development of big data technology, hackers target data systems and applications for personal information and files. This vulnerability is particularly risky for banks, insurance companies, and also marketplaces. Thus, we have to take additional care to review mobile application security standards. Cybersecurity standards were founded to secure the data and connections of software users. The primary security standards for mobile applications is the Open Web Application Security Project. For risk evaluation, other systems are used providing different criteria and having distinct targets other systems are also used.
Why Secure Your Mobile Apps?
Almost all mobile applications in the market violate some security recommendations regardless of the risks involved. Cybercriminals are capable of causing more damage by:
- Installing harmful software into devices to steal passwords and personal data to do fraud;
- Intruding the broadcast of sensitive files;
- Stealing intellectual property and distributing it without consent;
- Damaging the back-end code.
Common Risks in Mobile App Security-
Despite the fact that Android applications are more inclined to violations of security standards, there are a few factors that are related with being mobile application security risks for both Android and iOS.
- Weak authorization and authentication practices;
- Using HTTP instead of HTTPS in your application – any communications isn’t encrypted;
- Not using Application Transport Security;
- Insecure information storage;
- Longer sessions;
- Storage of critical or sensitive data on insecure locations.
Mobile Application Security Requirements-
There are various principles that can help to protect data if followed. In an admirable situation
- Sensitive data isn’t distributed among third party mediators;
- No sensitive data in backups;
- Memory is cleared and sensitive information isn’t stored for long;
- Sensitive information isn’t stored outside the application’s storage system;
- Passwords are not exposed through the interface;
- Users are instructed about the risks and prevention techniques also.
Mobile App Security Standards-
Standards and guidelines for security are designed to make the decision of testing tools simpler during an application’s development. They allow swift identification of flaws in code and vulnerable areas. Here are the most popular criteria that testing teams uses.
The OWASP system was founded in 2001 and receives updates every 3 years. It is used to confirm testing and risk requirements and also support the development of a more secure code. It encourages the early fixation of code defects and shortcomings to increase general strength and security.
Some of the requirements include the verification of device binding and the use of fingerprints, encryption on the file and code level, recognition and response to tampering, emulation, memory modifications and debugging.
CVSS is aimed to identify and also assess weaknesses and risks in an application, used globally for review and fix. The assessment eventually results in a score that describes the seriousness of the risks, plots their definition and key highlights. The score points to the areas that need attention and implies how urgent the activity of testing and debugging teams should be.
CWE is a list of normal vulnerabilities, developed by the community, proposed to help developers with distinguishing defects and also shortcomings by giving a base ground. It includes a few levels, which are divided into numerous classes and categories, aimed to make the search for a particular keyword simpler. A few instances of the issues covered by CWE include the use of weak and also defective cryptography, untrusted inputs, the security of UI, and poor coding.
NIAP is a government program made to ensure that federal applications follow the government rules and standards and fulfill the necessities of IT product customers. It ensures proper development of assessment guidelines and protection figures to ensure the appropriateness, reproducibility and testability of risk assessment criteria for the government. The NIAP validations body employs CCEVS to ensure that suitable approaches are used during the security analysis. The analysis is led in testing laboratories and also includes the comparison against ISO/IEC.
How to Test Your App?-
It is critical to implement the best quality testing methods during the development process. In any case, it is frequently rushed through because of the market demands for fast application release. Testing allows to detect and overcome vulnerabilities before they make issues. Here are a few tips:
- Use static analysis- it brings out code vulnerabilities for most programming languages;
- Analyze software composition for shortcomings in open-source constituents;
- Implement automated testing, as it increases security;
- Execute penetration testing for dynamic analysis.
Tips to Improve Your Mobile Apps Security-
If you care about your data, you should consider the security of your mobile application. There are various factors that regulate an application’s security, as a well-functioning complex application has a great deal of constituents, and all of them require some level of protection. Consider the following things to recall when processing them.
- Secure authentication and authorization. Two-factor authorization can be enabled with OAuth2, JSON can be used for channel encryption.
- Eliminate leakage by encryption. Implement file-level encryption and maintain a strategic distance from a local storage of sensitive data – if that is essential, it should also be encrypted. Encrypt on the code level by coupling obfuscation and API.
- Ensure your code is portable, updatable and open to improvements and fixes.
- You can use encrypted connections for extra protection, for example, VPN, SSL or TLS.
To prevent cybercrime, it is necessary to set up security and protection measures. The improvement process should start by risk and security assessment using various approved guidelines. The application should then be tested and analyzed statically and dynamically. Finally, to ensure security, additional care should be taken to create safe authentication and authorization processes and build encryption on file and code levels.
If you are confused about how to secure your mobile application, consult with solace experts. We have a dedicated team to give you the appropriate solution considering your requirements. Connect with Solace to develop secure mobile apps efficiently and effectively. We will be happy to help you.