We are living in the internet era where we can get anything and everything when we need it. This is where the Internet of Things comes in picture. It has the capability to connect different devices all together which can make human lives much easier. Because of this, the exponential growth in IoT devices is observed making it an essential technology of the future. Internet of Things is a high tech innovation that permits every electronic circuit of your home to be used as a smart real-time platform.
The need of IoT app is increasing day by day and so it is required to develop new IoT platforms. One can develop innovative applications with the use of powerful embedded programming languages. Such modern IoT software aims to improve the development speed of your IoT’s and also provides a great tool for increasing productivity at the same time. A large group of IoT solution providers are engaged in developing a software and hardware designs that will enable developers to think of novel IoT applications and also devices. Here are some Top class IoT development tools for developers and also for those who want to pursue IoT as a hobby.
Top 10 IoT software-
1. Tessel 2-
Tessel 2 is a hardware provider which is used to build basic IoT solutions and prototypes. It helps through its various sensors and modules. This is a board which can hold up to a dozen modules including the RFID, camera, GPS and the accelerometer. Java developers proficient with Node.JS can use this device because Tessel can be programmed using Node.JS. Along these lines, Tessel can be utilized to produce a large group of host of server and also hardware firmware IoT solutions. As a robust IoT platform, you can use all Node.JS libraries to unveil the host of devices within less time. It has two processors. The Tessel uses 580MHz Mediatek MT7620n and 48MHz Atmel SAMD21 coprocessor.
- It offers a plug and play ecosystem which makes it the fastest software for prototyping robotics projects.
- Apart from numerous helpful open source modules comes with ten default pin modules – covering from Accelerometer to Infrared.
- It supports built-in Wireless and also Ethernet connectivity.
2. Eclipse IoT-
Eclipse IoT provides technology required to build IoT Devices, Gateways, and Cloud Platforms. Basically, Eclipse IoT is an ecosystem of companies and also individuals collaborating to establish an Internet of Things based on open technologies. This collaboration helps to focus on the development, promotion and adoption of open source IoT technology. Most of the members provide a wide range of projects and services built on top of Eclipse IoT technology.
3. Arduino (IDE)-
Large number of IoT projects built with Arduino. It is the go-to tool used by developers for innovative IoT project. Whether you are a beginner or proficient, Arduino is the perfect tool to start IoT programming.
- It supports native microcontroller development using embedded programming languages like C and C++.
- This cross-platform integrated development editor is written in Java, so it offers a performance matched by only a few.
- One can upload his codes on microcontrollers directly with Arduino IDE.
- It also offers a convenient web editor for those who don’t want to install a full-fledged editor in their system.
4. Windows IoT-
Windows IoT is most popular operating platform for embedded systems. It allows convenient development and also maintenance of IoT device. This platform belongs to Windows family of operating systems. It provides a tool for maintaining your IoT components seamlessly. Known previously as Windows Embedded, the Windows IoT OS has three distinct flavors – namely Enterprise, Mobile, and Core. This software is mostly used in industrial IoT devices that requires a lot of automotive processes.
- This IoT operating system is dedicated for developing smart IoT devices that require a low memory footprint.
- Windows IoT is designed to boost UWP app experience.
- It allows developers to access vast and already established Windows ecosystem.
- Apps built with this OS can be very easily integrated into cloud platforms like Azure.
It is the most widely used operating system for Raspberry Pi’s. You can find a lot of exciting Raspberry Pi IoT projects that uses this iot software. Raspbian attracts a vast number of open source enthusiasts who use it for developing awe-inspiring IoT projects because of its being Unix-like system. It offers seminal performance even in systems with less hardware resources.
- This operating system is based on the Debian systems and sits on top of a monolithic kernel.
- This software is highly optimized for powering older generation embedded systems that have access to only minimal resources.
- It ships with a pre-loaded copy of Minecraft so, is widely used to power online Minecraft servers.
- It has a subtle resemblance to the popular Linux flavor LXDE.
MindSphere is an open cloud-based operating system platform for modern IoT devices. It is developed by Siemens. This iot software allows IoT devices to collect and also use cloud data effectively, and make intelligent decisions based on them. This is behind the smart GPS systems you see on today’s flagship cars like those in Tesla. It acts as a PaaS (Platform As A Service) and also permits developers to build cutting edge smart IoT solutions.
- This iot application is used widely for collecting real-time telemetric data and geographical data also.
- You can connect your assets very securely by utilizing auxiliary MindSphere products like the MindConnect IoT2040 or MindConnect Nano.
- MindSphere provides a compelling set of application programming interfaces (APIs) that allow developers to integrate their own IoT technology.
7. Azure Sphere-
The Azure Sphere is a Microsoft product. It is based on famous Linux kernel. Azure sphere was promoted by Microsoft to gain traction in the gigantic open source Linux community and since been getting worldwide success. It is built for use with ARM class of architecture. This platform combines all the functional elements of Microsoft Azure with world class Unix ecosystem.
- Same as contemporary Unix based embedded platforms, Azure Sphere is also designed for developing powerful MCU-powered IoT devices.
- With this amazing IoT working framework, you will get the security given by Unix-like frameworks.
- The Azure Sphere is structured such that you can utilize it for curating quick IoT applications and get them available all around rapidly.
ThingSpeak is an IoT analytics platform service to aggregate, visualize and analyze live data streams in the cloud. It provides powerful APIs for storing and retrieving data within IoT devices over HTTP protocol or through a LAN. It is written in Ruby language. If you are looking for an incredible IoT application that functions admirably with limited bandwidth, this is the best answer for your next IoT project.ThingSpeak enables sensors, instruments, and websites to send data to the cloud to store in a channel.
- This platform allows developers to collect sensor data from their IoT devices.
- Developers can analyze their IoT data effectively with Matlab application.
- You can program your IoT application to trigger certain logic based on the analysis provided by Thingspeak.
- The massive community of Thingspeak ensures your developers won’t get stuck on a project by curating helpful documentation.
Node-RED is a simple visual tool built on Node.js. It is widely used in IoT projects. It is an open-source tool mainly used to connect devices, services and APIs together with an integrated browser-based flow editor. Node-RED was developed by IBM with the focus on providing a user-friendly interface for developers allowing them to connect devices more quickly and easily.
MQTT, an abbreviation for Message Queuing Telemetry Transport. It is a messaging protocol that works on the TCP/IP protocol. It is used in IoT for communicating with devices internally. This iot software not only provides ISO standard IoT protocols for internal communication but also offers modern-day security measurements such as SSL and TSL to make sure the transmission is just as secure as those on full-fledged computing systems.
- This messaging protocol leverages the publish-subscribe paradigm for effective network communications among everyday IoT devices.
- Because of small size it is coupled with low power usage. This application is perfectly suitable for IoT devices with heavy resource constraints.
- It is the de-facto medium of inter-communication for devices that have access to minimal bandwidth.
- It is widely used in home automation systems because of its lightweight design and small code.
The IoT industry is ever growing technology that is evolving each day. With the constant decrease in resource costs and increasing release of useful iot software, this field will continue to be on the rise in the upcoming years. You should be updated with these IoT software and tools for an effective development.
Are you thinking to modernize your business with IoT? Then you might need some help to get started. Solace expert’s are there to help you with the high scale knowledge of IoT development. Get a free quote for IoT development.