Agile software development is a software development methodology which focuses on an iterative process, where cross-functional teams collaborate to produce better solutions. Agile frameworks are unique techniques or methods in the development following agile principles. There are various popular agile frameworks having their own features and best practices. Different businesses use them according to their specific needs. While you are choosing the agile framework, you must know the list of agile frameworks with its features. Hence here we came with the top 7 agile frameworks to help you choose the best one. Let us see each one in detail.
Top 7 Agile Frameworks-
It is a popular project management framework. Kanban focuses on workflow visualization and signifies work in progress (WIP), allowing it to efficiently adapt it to the team’s capacity. Kanban helps to manage the throughput of a process by identifying bottlenecks, setting ‘Work In Progress’ limits and showing the status of entire production system with single view. When a job is completed, the team will move on to the following file in the pipeline. It results in, implementation process allowing for more planning flexibility, quicker delivery, consistent priorities and accountability. Kanban has no standard approaches within a method and fixed repetitions like other frameworks. Even a small bug can be fixed by the framework immediately. The framework works fine even after the release of a developed product.
- This framework visualizes the workflow using Kanban Board. Generally, whiteboards or sticky notes represent the board.
- There is a card for each work in Kanban, hence each team member can see who is accountable for which work and when he/she is supposed to complete his/her work.
- Team members can ease the communication by attaching screenshots or documents, leave comments or provide links.
- Teams can trace colleague’s works and help them in finding problems.
2. Extreme Programming-
This agile methodology was created especially for software development projects. It focuses on client delivery, continuous development and employs intervals or spirits and was previously developed to manage the cost of new conditions and develop good innovation practices to improve software performance. Also, it stresses the same principles that are expressed in Scrum and Agile Manifesto. Extreme programming introduced many groundbreaking regulations to software development that are now common. Let us see the key features of extreme programming.
- Continuous integration enables developers to contribute new codes to the project multiple times a day.
- Test driven development (TDD) is an engineering methodology that accelerates the software design process using automated unit tests. It has a test-first approach different than other frameworks.
- This framework tests in a way that mistakes in the code are easily captured. Also every software component receives feedback that improves the final product quality.
- XP has a feature as Pair Programming where two programmers work together. One of them writes code while the other observes, hence increases the overall efficiency.
It is one of the leading Agile techniques developed in 1990 and more than 50% of the projects use this methodology. Scrum takes an iterative project management approach, like other agile models. The techniques of scrum suggests dividing a project into sprints where each sprint generally takes one to four weeks. Sprints conclude with the execution of feasible version or draft of project’s final product. Also the framework has short iterations that allows team to deliver a working version of ultimate result.
- The framework uses some agile engineering methods ensuring maximum productivity out of the development team.
- Sprint is an exclusive feature of scrum where each sprint has definite deadline.
- Scrum method focuses on the products quality that results in less mistakes.
You can also know- How to write an effective user stories “AGILE” “SCRUM”?
It refers to the agile methodologies like Crystal Orange, Crystal clear, crystal red, crystal yellow etc. Every crystal approach has its own structure, and various factors including size of team, project goals and project robustness. One of the important thing to keep in mind is that different projects necessitate slightly different strategies, procedures and methods on their particular characteristics. Let us see its key features.
- It allows teams to operate in any way they see fit.
- Allows direct group interaction, transparency and governance.
- Teams can react immediately to changing conditions because of adaptive approach
- It is one of he flexible agile frameworks.
5. Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) –
It is one of the most common system to scale agile through organizations. Various organizations use SAFe because it enables and accelerates faster time-to-market, significant improvements in efficiency and quality, and improved employee engagement. Also, the framework encourages large groups of agile teams to coordinate, collaborate and deliver. It has three basic bodies- lean product development, systems thinking and agile software development. This framework offers a consistent method to scale agile as companies expand in size.
- It focuses on planning at all levels of the organization. Hence everyone knows its current state, objectives and how team mates can work together towards objectives.
- All stages of organization remain aligned by constantly coordinating people and activities.
- Information flows both upward and downward on time.
- This framework promotes trust-building behaviors like breaking down work into smaller batches so that developers can detect issues immediately, offering real-time insight into backlog progress across stages.
It provides a conceptual structure and adheres to standards, principles, and best development practices implemented in Agile development. As per the survey, nearly 17% of businesses have adopted lean. The software development process has seven basic principles- getting rid of waste, empowering the team, delivering as fast as possible, building quality, deciding as late as possible, and enhancing learning and knowledge. Let us see the its key features-
- It improves the learning process by integration testing, short iteration cycles and refactoring. Also the customer feedback gives opportunities to trace problems.
- Short iterations of small batches of Lean generate useful feedback and help in quick decision-making.
- It ensures that the consistency is built into the system by automating testing by builds, installation and continuous integration.
7. Feature Driven Development-
It creates software models every two weeks. Also, it includes a various design and development plan for each software attribute, and this makes it more documentation-intensive than other agile frameworks. It’s attributes are discrete chunks of client-valued functions. Developers divide domain models into content areas that they present as business operations using documentation. With the use of FDD process, developers first can create a product concept before making a list of features. By using iterative approach, they can prepare plan for how the product will be created.
- It keep the whole process disciplined and enable more fast development.
- This framework is applicable for both small and large teams, both teams can develop products successfully.
- It will best for your project if you work for a big organization or are involved in a large-scale project as it employs the top-down decision-making approach.
Most of you might be confused about implementing Agile methodology for outsourced work. If you are also one of them, then know the details at- Can I implement Agile methodology for my outsourced work?
As we all know that most of the organizations uses agile methodology for software development and hence knowing the above frameworks will be helpful for seamless development. If you are using agile methodology for project development then selecting the best framework among the above will help you to achieve your goal. If you are confused to choose the best one, consult with Solace experts. We are here to help you through consultation and development with agile methodology. Connect with Solace and get a free quote for seamless web development and app development. We will be happy to help you.