React Native has become a prime choice of startups and companies searching for a mode to enter the application domain in a cost-effective and time-efficient way. Increasing demand for React Native app development is the stress on React Native developers to develop high-performing offline first applications that can be scaled when required.
Thus, this has led them to look back at the technology stack and selection of platforms to build React Native applications off of. Particularly the base of the application – React Native database. Here we will see the databases that are appropriate for React Native app development. Before that, let us see the factors to Consider When Choosing React Native Databases for Your Project.
You can also know- 6 Mistakes to Avoid When Creating a React Native App
Factors to Consider While Choosing React Native Databases-
1. Complexity of the Data-
Key-value storage is the default option for various server-side and client-side scripting languages. Mainly, both – values and keys – must be serialized in strings, either by a React Native developer or through the library itself. Now although necessary, serialization can bring serious halts and issues to how your application performs, particularly when it works in a limited resources environment of smartphones. Hence, ideally, a react native development company chooses a database that helps you to store more complex data compared to the key-value pairs like full documents and objects and accompanies complex data types.
2. Number of Line of Codes-
If you take in more than 20 lines of code to write a simple CRUD operation, any modern database should be your last choice. Since not just an advanced DB would make coding complex but it would even affect the database performance intensely. It can also increase the overall React Native application development cost. Also, processing of such huge numbers of code lines would slow down the application. So don’t use a database that accompanies advanced functionality if it carries the chances to lower down your application’s user experience and delay the release speed.
3. Synching the Offline Data-
If you are developing a low complex application which doesn’t offer multi-user collaboration, you can use a simple database that would work with a simplified synchronization functionality. These application types can sync with the server whenever an internet connection is established. With collaboration being the basic feature of an application, syncing functionality demands the database to be complex. Applications like Trello, which can’t show various versions of a document or project, however, requires a react native application development company to accomplish perfect syncing even when the network conditions are inconsistent.
4. Handling Data Conflicts and Concurrency-
Data conflicts increase as you add more collaboration related features in the application. You should look for databases, which share the conflict-handling policies on websites or the repository pages. Dive into the database documents to get aware of how they handle syncing and conflicts or investigate the trade-offs that are made and the impact it would make on the application.
5. Memory Management-
Inefficient database memory handling practices can prompt application crashes. Compaction is one of the proactive processes of memory management where the reports or data that won’t be useful are erased from the memory. The process is like the ‘garbage collection’ part of programming, which ensures there is free memory available at any given point in time.
Based on these five factors we have distinguished the local React Native database options which would be most appropriate for your react native application development process.
Best databases for React Native App Development-
1. Realm Database-
Realm is a mobile database and a replacement for SQLite. Despite the fact that it is an OO database it has some differences with other databases. Realm isn’t using SQLite as its engine. Rather, it has its own C++ core and means to provide a mobile-first option to SQLite. Quicker than SQLite database (up to 10x speedup over raw SQLite for ordinary operations). Advantageous for creating and storing data on the fly. The realm has lots of modern features, for example, JSON support, a fluent API, data change notifications and encryption support.
Benefits of Realm and React Native:
- Realm Sync – the sync services operate in the background and records, saves all the user interactions and the service requests locally.
- Offline friendliness through Redux Offline – for those searching for a solution to execute offline-first architecture through Realm for React native applications, Redux offline can be a perfect choice.
- Security – It uses numerous encryption standards for every different mobile platform.
2. Firebase Database-
You can hire firebase developers of Solace team for effective development.
Benefits of Firebase for React Native App Development-
- Real-time syncing of data – with Firebase for React Native, the data is synchronized in real-time for all clients, simultaneously. This becomes significant for when an application goes offline unannounced due to the unavailability of internet connection.
- Low setup efforts – Firebase offers a cross-platform API which calls for minimal setup when it is being used inside an application. Also, you won’t need an application server for accessing the data as it can directly be accessed through a mobile phone.
- Offline persistence – the combination of Firebase and React Native gives the developers an ability to develop real-time applications with offline persistence capabilities. This comprises of marking users’ presence online or offline and storing timestamp whenever users get disconnected.
It was designed to offer local storage to mobile applications. The eminence of the word Lite in the database name means it is a lightweight library and that it requires minimal setup. It can also be directly coordinated within the mobile application for directly accessing the database.
Benefits of SQLite for React Native based Application Development-
- ACID compliance – it is an ACID compliant database that executes SQL standards with some omissions. The architecture of the library is file-based and there are some tools that can deal with all the data types with simplicity and ease.
- Offline persistence- So as to allow the offline persistence by means of SQLite, developers can use a react-native SQLite-storage plugin for managing data in application.
Benefits of PouchDB for React Native App Development-
- Since the PouchDB stays inside a browser, the need to perform queries over the network isn’t there. This, overall, prompts quicker queries execution.
- Developers can sync up data with any supported server and therefore can run the applications both offline and online.
5. Watermelon DB-
This database is built on SQLite. It is a high-performance database for React Native. It accompanies the potential of scaling hundreds to thousands of records without losing its speed. The database has been properly optimized for building complex applications in React Native with a focus on real-world performance.
Benefits of Watermelon DB for React Native App Development:
In addition to scaling more than 100 – 10000 records, Watermelon DB also supports developers to exploit using react native through:
- Offline first system
- Static typing with Flow
- Building apps on SQLite foundation
Database selection consistently relies on the application you are developing. If you are developing a chat application, you can use a firebase database an online database to store and retrieve data.
Also you can use Realm or SQLite database for the complete offline solution. It is a good choice if you need a really fast and simple to use solution for storing and processing data in a mobile application. But if you are skilled over SQLite, you can also use it and it is open source too other than Realm and Firebase are commercial.
Hence consider the type of application you are developing and accordingly choose the appropriate database. If you are still confused with which database to use, Consult with solace experts. We have a dedicated team to help you through consultation. Connect with Solace to develop effective react native development with an appropriate database. We will be happy to help you.